Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How Many People Do YOU See?

Heidi did an excellent job today with Mom!  Her connection on her phone wasn't great.

Daddy and I are trying to stay on top of things at work and home and with Mom.

Daddy and Mom
November 2012
When Daddy and I got to the hospital this afternoon the doctor met us at the door to her room.  It has a glass door that remains closed while we wait to see if she is contagious.  The doctor confirmed that she does have meningitis.  We are still not sure what kind she has.  The doctor can only speculate at this point.  He said of the tests he ran today 3 out of 4 confirmed bacterial meningitis.  Bacterial is the worst kind from what we have been told.  It should be treatable.  We will not know for sure if this is contagious, but the doctor says most cases are NOT.  Until we know for sure we are all taking precautions and we request no visitors.

Heidi will be at the hospital again tomorrow and Daddy will be in and out.  His actual deadline this week is tomorrow (Thursday).

Now - for mom.  Her blood sugar is around 200.   This is up from yesterday, but down from when she was admitted.  She is being encouraged to take better care of herself when she gets to leave.  (More discussions about that to come, I am sure.)

Luke and Avery
November 2012
Mom is seeing people who are not there.  This happened after her brain surgery.  Last time she saw her brother Kim and Ethan.  Today she saw me.  She said that I sat outside of her room and wouldn't come inside.  I would just try to communicate through the intercom that really didn't work.  She kept telling the nurse she needed to send me in!  She also saw a man trying to "fix" the intercom problem.  Eventually, the man gave up and the intercom still doesn't work.

I will tell you that I did feel guilty for NOT being there all day today.  With Heidi in - Daddy, Heidi and I are taking shifts.

Mom's fever was creeping back up when I left.  She is on a diet of solid food and ate a really good dinner.  Daddy fed it to her.  She could have fed herself, but she was getting really distracted.

Mom was happy to have us there.  She remembers nothing from sometime Monday until this morning.  She is looking SO much better and she wanted me to tell you to please PRAY for her - because prayer works.

4 comments:

  1. this is hard to read and I appreciate your honesty about her condition. We are praying. I am encouraged that she has requested prayers because it works. I didn't know that "bacterial" was harder to treat than viral. Thank you, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. We will confine to pray for Debbie, her Drs. & everyone taking care of her, especially, the 3 of you. Take care of yourselves when she goes home you will need lots of energy. Love from Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the updates! praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for my sister/friend! love to all
    Becky M

    ReplyDelete